With an average temperature - 73.7 degrees and 361 days of sunshine per year. The "Sunshine City" holds a Guinness World Record for logging the most consecutive days of sunshine - a stretch lasting 768 days that began in 1967. St. Petersburg has 244 miles of shoreline along Tampa Bay, Boca Ciega Bay, the Gulf of Mexico and intra coastal waterways. The largest municipal marina in the southeast with 610 boat slips. Nine boat ramp locations, open year round.
The Vinoy area was developed in 1925 and is home to the Vinoy Resort Hotel and north yacht basin, a historic Mediterranean Revival styled hotel. Located at 501 Fifth Avenue Northeast, the Vinoy is a historical landmark of St. Petersburg.
Located to the east of the Vinoy Hotel, Vinoy Park is 11.6 Acres, with a scenic view of Tampa Bay and the St. Petersburg Waterfront. A beautiful and spacious landscape, Vinoy Park also acts as a location for many concerts, festivals, and special events.
Established in 1920, the St. Petersburg Museum of History is the oldest museum in Pinellas County. The mission of the museum is to preserve and communicate the history and heritage of Florida with an emphasis on St. Petersburg and the Pinellas Peninsula.
The St. Petersburg Municipal Marina is fully equipped for boaters of all kinds. Amenities include: slip rental, live aboard options, day docking, transient dock for larger vessels, or moorings.
Another service of the St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, the public boat ramps allow you to launch your boat, park your car, and enjoy a day on Tampa Bay!
Named after Peter Demens, one of the businessmen responsible for founding St. Petersburg, Demens Landing is one of many beautiful parks along the St. Petersburg Waterfront. It plays host to concerts and plays from time to time.
At the eastern tip of Demens Landing, there is a granite memorial dedicated to fallen officers, "Heroes of the St. Petersburg Police Department." Established in 2012, the memorial commemorates the 15 officers that St. Petersburg has lost since 1905.
First established in 1928, Albert Whitted Airport is recognized as the birthplace of scheduled commercial airline flight. A new $3 million control tower was part of a series of capital improvements that began in 2003.
In 2008, the City of St. Petersburg opened Ablert Whitted Park, which is located on the north side of the airport, bordering the Bayfront or South Yacht Basin. The park has observation areas overlooking the airport and an aviation themed playground.
Mahaffey Theater is a concert hall that first opened in May, 1965. It is one of the prime venues for The Florida Orchestra, concerts and host for traveling Broadway shows. The theater lobby overlooks scenic Tampa Bay through a three-story glass atrium.
The Salvador Dalí Museum of St. Petersburg is home to the largest comprehensive collection of Salvador Dalí's art in the United States. Staying true to Dalí's surrealism and style, the courtyard features many elements from his paintings including a melting clock park bench, a golden spiral fibonacci tile courtyard and a hedge maze.
Established in 1928, Albert Whitted Airport is named for Lieutenant James Albert Whitted, a St. Petersburg native who was one of the US Navy's first 250 Naval Aviators. Located on the St. Petersburg bayfront, between the marina's South Yacht Basin and Bayboro Harbor, the general aviation airport has been an icon of St. Petersburg for many years.
With over 90,000 aircraft operations annually (2008), and two runways measuring at 3,677 and 2,864 feet, historic Albert Whitted Airport has been an important part in many commercial and private aviation pursuits.
A vital part of sailboat racing and training activities on the Florida Suncoast, the St. Petersburg Sailing Center is home for nearly 50 club-owned and maintained sailboats, which include a fleet of Optimist Prams, 420s, Ideal 18s, and Sonars. These are available to qualified St. Petersburg Yacht Club members and their families to use at no cost.
The University of South Florida St. Petersburg is a part of the University of South Florida System, located in downtown St. Petersburg along the iconic St. Petersburg waterfront and Bayboro Harbor. USF St. Pete opened in 1965 as a satellite campus of USFand gained accreditation as a separate entity in 2006. USF St. Pete enrolled nearly 5,000 students during the Fall 2012 semester.
The Port St. Petersburg is strategically located near Tampa International Airport External Link, the St. Petersburg-Clearwater Airport and Albert Whitted Municipal Airport, ideal for all travel needs. The Port also has excellent, uncongested road network and public transportation system, which connects its cruise passenger terminal and other facilities to nearby markets, tourist destinations and airports.
St. Petersburg's Beach Drive anchors downtown shopping, dining and entertainment districts that include outdoor cafes and restaurants, world class museums and a dazzling array of shops, galleries, businesses, hotels and bed & breakfasts that line the city’s pedestrian-friendly streets. A continuous string of green parks winds along the seven-mile waterfront that is home to many special events and festivals each year.
This webcam provides an on-the-street level view from the city’s Municipal Services Building located at One Fourth Street N., downtown. It captures pedestrian and street traffic of downtown’s main restaurant row along Central Avenue.
ST. PETERSBURG, FL - December 16 to 20, 2013 - Restoration efforts on one of St. Petersburg's treasured works of art gets underway this week at City Hall and the public is invited to watch, either online or in person.
Work on "The Pier", the 7x10-ft. oil-on-canvas mural by WPA artist George Snow Hill is being conducted by Rustin Levenson Arts Conservation Associates. Levenson, who holds degrees in art conservation from the Fogg Museum and Harvard, is expected to begin the week-long process on Monday, December 16. This is the first time the mural has been slated for restoration since its installation in 1945.
The mural was one of two works Hill was commissioned to paint under a 1940 federal work grant. When the contract was cancelled due to the outbreak of World War II, Hill continued to paint and eventually presented his finished works to St. Petersburg City Council. Both murals greeted visitors on City Hall's second floor landing until 1966, when one was lost to vandalism.
"The Pier" depicts figures on the old St. Petersburg Pier, some fishing, with others observing through binoculars and telescopes, watched over by pelicans and seagulls. The mural captures viewers' attention through the dominant use of fishing poles to the finest details, including a woman's bracelet that reads GI JANE 3-3-1945.'
After an initial dusting and surface cleaning, Levenson will consolidate and stabilize any lifting paint before cleaning the reverse side of the lifted canvas and on the wall using dry brushes and spatulas. The mural will then be re-affixed to the wall and areas where paint has fallen from the surface will be refilled or retouched. Levenson will test the mural for varnish, removing any remnants, then determine if any additional steps are needed.
"This is something we've wanted to do for a long time," said Elizabeth Brincklow, Manager of the city's Office of Arts and International Relations. "Not only is the restoration process crucial to the preservation of the mural, it's also important for the city, serving to depict a mid-century view of St. Petersburg."
Limited public viewing of the conservation process will be available from the second floor balcony of City Hall between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., beginning Monday, December 16.
Other notable works by Hill include a number of paintings at the U.S. Coast Guard Station in St. Petersburg as well as a three panel mural depicting Tony Jannus' flight from St. Petersburg to Tampa, located in the Airside E terminal of Tampa International Airport.